Saturday, September 9, 2017

September 7, 2017

Poets’ Roundtable


Welcome

Due to a variety of circumstances, I have little prepared for today. So, I came up with an exercise that might prove both interesting and time-consuming.

News and Jabber

http://hemingwayapp.com/ This link will take you to a free online writing app that will check spelling and grammar as you write. You can also copy text from a document and paste it into the app and have the site edit it. I like running such a check on most of my texts in my never-ending practice of safe poetry.



Note that John Ashberry died. Here's a link to a good discussion of him and his work: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/john-ashbery-a7928556.html. I found some of his poems wonderful, some impenetrable. More later.

The Current Assignment

A poem to your father. I found this challenging.

The Next Assignment

Take the poem you wrote for this meeting and cut it in half, retaining only the essential essentials.
NOW, SOME RECOILED AT THIS ASSIGNMENT AND SO I HEREBY GIVE YOU A SECOND OPTION: WRITE A POEM FROM YOUR FATHER TO YOU. IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE AN ANSWER TO THE FIRST POEM ALTHOUGH IT COULD BE; JUST A POEM FROM YOUR FATHER TO YOU.

I took that idea from an article in the "The Time is Now" series posted online at https://www.pw.org/writing-prompts-exercises?genre=31&items_per_page=25, a Poets and Writers Magazine web page that is a good source for prompts and links.

The Next Meeting

Two weeks from today, September 21, 2017.

Other Jabber





1 comment:

  1. I want to comment every time, for a blog invites comment and sharing. I went for the second option.

    I'm sharing...

    A letter from my father

    In a letter from father, addressed to me,
    He shares his decision, as he embraces me.

    (an awkward translation}

    “While I seldom speak of work,
    I write a short letter in my French
    To say that I long for the earth
    To pour down over me in my trench,
    As it has over other members of my family,
    Including my mother, father, and your mother”
    I agreed to this and permit it as an elementary
    Show of goodwill, for, altogether,
    We are happy to join the Almighty.”

    9-9-17

    ReplyDelete