Friday, September 21, 2018

September 20, 2018

Poets’ Roundtable



Welcome
Rich Anderson will not be here today.

News and Jabber

I opened with a quiz regarding lyrics ostensibly of a poem but in reality was a song written by Marianne Faithfull, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. Here is a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCnx2kjk8T4. Turn it up and drift away….


The Current Assignment
Who did it? I told you in an email that I was having a great time of it. Here is Dru Martin’s offering:


The Next Assignment
The next assignment is to write a poem about something abandoned.
I take this from an article I read about ancient Middle-Eastern poetry.
The article discusses the poetry of ruins, losses as it existed in sixth-century and how it is being revived today in a variety of arts, but especially poetry. The introductory paragraph, inserted below, gives an idea of the kind of impetus I see behind the assignment. Still, the assignment is open to any interpretation you find appropriate. The two images below give an old and a new look at abandoned places, each prompting its own reflections.

By Paul Cooper
21 August 2018
“A bleak landscape stretches out in all directions, broken only by wind-hewed formations of sandstone. A lone traveller wanders this hostile, waterless place, looking for shelter. And then on the horizon, a line of ruined walls appears to him like an apparition. In the heat haze, they seem to hover above the ground. As he gets closer, memories of this place come back to him. Broken tents and pegs, abandoned fire pits, the signs of a camp long-since abandoned: this is the place where he once met the love of his life, now lost forever. As he wanders the ruins, he sees deer and goats grazing where he once walked with his beloved. He sees the plants of the desert bursting up through the tent where they once lay together. As the memories of this place rush back to him, the horizon flashes with thunder and the rain finally comes to the land.”

Standing Before the Ruins of Al-Birweh

Like birds, I tread lightly on the earth’s skin
so as not to wake the dead
I shut the door to my emotions to become my other
I don’t feel that I am a stone sighing
as it longs for a cloud
Thus I tread as if I am a tourist
and a correspondent for a foreign newspaper
Of this place I choose the wind
I choose absence to describe it
Absence sat, neutral, around me
The crow saw it
Halt, my two companions!
Let us experience this place our own way:
Here, a sky fell on a stone and bled it
so that anemones would bloom in the spring
(Where is my song now?)
Here, the gazelle broke the glass of my window
so that I would follow it
(So where is my song now?)
Here, the magical morning butterflies carried the path to my school
(So where is my song now?)
Here I saddled a horse to fly to my stars
(So where is my song now?)
I say to my two companions:
Stop so that I may weigh the place
and its emptiness with Jahili odes
full of horses and departure
For every rhyme we will pitch a tent
For every home to be stormed by the wind,
there is a rhyme
But I am the son of my first tale
My milk is warm in my mother’s breast
The bed is swung by two tiny birds
My father is building my tomorrow with his two hands
I didn’t grow up and so did not go to exile
The tourist says: Wait for the dove to finish its cooing!
I say: It knows me and I know it, but the letter has not arrived
The journalist interrupts my secret song:
Do you see that dairy factory behind that strong pine tree?
I say: No, I only see the gazelle at the window
He says: What about the modern roads on the rubble of houses?
I say: No, I don’t see them
I only see the garden under them
and I see the cobweb
He says: Dry your two tears with a handful of fresh grass
I say: That is my other crying over my past
The tourist says: The visit is over
I haven’t found anything to photograph except a ghost
I say: I see absence with all its instruments
I touch it and hear it. It lifts me high
I see the ends of the distant skies
Whenever I die I notice
I am born again and I return
from absence to absence

(Translated by Sinan Antoon, from Darwish`s posthumous collection, La Uridu Li-Hadhihi al-Qasidati an Tantahi (I Don`t Want This Poem to End) (Beirut: Riyad al-Rayyis, 2009).
* Al-Birweh is the village in which Darwish was born on March 13, 1941. It was occupied and depopulated in 1948 by Israeli forces. Its inhabitants became refugees, some in Lebanon, some internally displaced and designated present-absentees. In 1949, a Kibbutz was established. A year later a settlement was built on the lands of al-Birweh. )



The Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Thursday, October 4, 2018

Other Jabber






4 comments:

  1. What Brought me Here –
    Upper and Lower Narrow Ponds, Maine, 1969

    It was not often,
    But there were times
    When business took me on the road,
    And I ended up taking
    Alternative routes,
    Often to find once-known places,
    Which were no longer accessible
    By the road , at one time, remembered,
    As the one to get
    Where I was going.
    Things, obviously,
    Had changed.

    What I wanted to do
    Was to find the farm and school
    Which, taken all together, constituted,
    A life that I had lived, once,
    Already, a very long time ago.

    Because State roads were now highways,
    And they had route numbers, unfamiliar,
    It took a brand new gasoline station road map,
    One that cost me some,
    To open on a picnic table.

    I easily recalled, there were two ponds
    Linked together by a bridged narrows
    Which easily became the main gateway
    To retracing my steps to the origin
    Of my remembrance of a long ago.

    After following the map to the bridge,
    I found the side road that hadn’t existed
    Around Upper Narrow Pond, back in the day.

    I parked my car off an abandoned, rutted road,
    And chanced walking in along a trail
    To find the vista I expected fully expected to see,
    And what I saw should not have surprised me,
    Such as it did, for the bush had turned to trees,
    And the trails were now tractor-treaded paths.

    But further on, from where I could see
    The old, wild, and gnarled apple trees,
    Some dead, some still greening but fruitless, now,
    I could envision the old carcasses of old dead cows,
    The bones no longer held together by dried meat
    And tendon, covered some by raggedy skin.

    No. All that I remembered
    was unlike what I found.

    Not only was the terrain different,
    The scene could not be representative
    Of any memory I had held of the place.

    I walked some more, knelt by a rivulet of a stream,
    Recalled some basic wish of a prayer from long ago,
    Rose and made my way back to the car,
    A walking stick I cut from as a straight cane of a switch,
    And what might have been one of the two hundred-seven
    Bones from one of those dead cows’ bodies
    That had brought me here.

    © G. Coulombe – 9-20-18

    -30-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Speak to Jane Regarding Elmer

    Well, Jane,
    you made history:
    I told nine people
    about you yesterday.
    And you know what?
    They fell in love.
    It’s you, Darlin’,
    it’s you.
    Move on now.

    I’ll keep your book,
    use it-- it’s a good one.
    But I won’t use those
    song lyrics you
    penciled inside the
    front and back covers.
    The crossed-out addresses
    say more and
    the crossed-out name
    that isn’t yours,
    even more.

    I’m not forgetting you,
    just granting you peace.
    There are other names
    I can turn to:
    Bruce, who stabbed people;
    Lotto, whose brother was mute;
    the nameless guy who
    was cut in half when
    the Boston and Maine
    midnight freight
    didn’t see him in time
    passed out on the tracks.
    There are more but
    you know them,
    or don’t, and
    it doesn’t matter now.

    Do you remember Elmer,
    the tiny, old man
    who lived alone
    on Summer Street?
    He could barely walk
    and always smiled.
    Some sonofabitch beat the shit out of him,
    stole his money.

    If you come back,
    let’s smash a
    Green Death bottle
    and go cut that sonofabitch’s
    heart out,
    do one good thing
    before we die.
    Then we’ll wait
    by the tracks for
    the police to come
    and take us home.

    (September 2018)

    Unpublished work Copyright 2018 Emerson Gilmore

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Gungywamp

    Every day of the work week
    My father drove from our
    Small village of Noank
    To the submarine base in Groton.
    The Blue Star Highway runs from
    Mystic
    To the New London Bridge
    And off this beaten track
    Is an alternate route called
    Gungywamp Road
    Winding two miles through
    Unspoiled woods
    It leads directly to the Navy housing.

    The oak, hickory, and maples here
    Are typical of the area.
    But in season there is a wealth of color
    Growing along an azalea trail.
    Ancient stands of mountain laurel
    Appear as an enchanted forest.
    But our imaginations took a more
    sinister turn,
    For Dad was fond of warning us against
    The Gungywamp, a gollum-like creature
    Who lived in granite caves in a rock ledge
    Deep within the woods.
    Legend had it that the Gungywamp
    Would eat children if caught out after dark.

    Why parents delight in scaring the young
    And why the young enjoy it so, is a mystery.
    But we took the Gungywamp into our personal realms of nightmare
    with gusto.
    Years later I would pass the story on to my own children
    And, of course, they lapped it up.

    But this legend has an origin.
    There are, in fact, cave sites in a ledge
    Where Native American artifacts
    As old as four thousand years
    Have been found.
    Imaginative researchers have found "evidence"
    Of Celtic monks from the Seventh Century
    And standing stones,
    Even a stone-lined chamber
    That can indicate the vernal and autumnal equinoxes.

    Less dramatic, but no less interesting to me,
    Is that sheep were raised here and
    The shell of a sheephide tanning mill
    For making vellum bookcovers remains .
    Connecticut was known for its publishing houses
    As much for shipbuilding and guns.

    Granite was quarried here and
    Cranberries were grown in the marshy places.
    The oaks provided acorns, not only for deer
    But for Native Americans who used them for flour. Hickory nuts were so popular that
    November was known as the nutting month.
    And maple syrup...Well, I digress.

    It was the azaleas and mountain laurels
    That brought the family out for the drive.
    A picnic lunch would follow,
    At Slippery Rock, a huge boulder,
    Deposited by glaciers, that had a steep sloping side.
    My brothers and I wore out our jeans
    Sliding down that rock over and over.
    But we always left by sundown
    So the Gungywamp wouldn't get us.

    ReplyDelete