Thursday, June 20, 2019

June 20, 2019


Poets’ Roundtable

Welcome
Neither Rich nor Ed will be with us today.
News and Jabber

The New York Times reviewed a book by Campbell McGrath, a poet I've mentioned before. I think his base is Chicago. As the article points out, McGrath writes about America and American things. He is rightfully a poet who believes:
In the world of some poets
there are no Cheerios or Pop-Tarts, no hot dogs
tumbling purgatorially on greasy rollers,
only chestnuts and pomegranates,
the smell of freshly baked bread,
summer vegetables in red wine, simmering.

From <https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/11/books/review/nouns-and-verbs-new-and-selected-poems-campbell-mcgrath.html>

He has long sung of the pedestrian things that make up Americans, the everyday Americans. His father, Thomas McGrath, was a poet as well. Both are worth reading.
The above link will take you to the NYT review of his new book, Nouns and Verbs.


The Current Assignment

Mary Grace's poem:

GOSSIP AMONG JUNE FLOWERS
by me.
Mary
Monday I went out in my garden
And decided to go for a walk,
When I saw a Mum bend to a Daisy,
And I listened … and I heard it talk...
“It’s been a long time since I’ve seen you,
I do hope that all is quite well,
So much has been happening around here,
And oh, I have such news to tell!
Did you hear about Patty Petunia?
How she’s gotten herself in a fix?
Seems she’s fallen in love with a Four-O’clock
Who’s so lazy, he gets up at six!
And what about young Larry Larkspur,
With that wife of his naggin’ and naggin’,
Well, we warned him that’s what would happen
If he married that snippy Snap Dragon!
Terry Tulip told May Morning Glory
Not to get tangled up with Fred Fence,
Seems he’s always taking advantage
Of flowers without any scents.
Hal Hibiscus is going to get married
To Dee Dandelion, I hear it said, 
But his parents are very unhappy,
They just don’t think that Dee is well bred.
And, oh that young Gerry Geranium!
When I saw him his face was quite red,
Do you know what he went and did last night?
He got potted again … in the shed!
Irene Iris got mad at the Queen Bee
'Cause she buzzed about what Irene did,
Seems the Queen Bee caught Iris pretending
That she was a blooming Orchid!
And oh, such sad news about Fanny,
Our lovely young Forget-Me-Not,
Got engaged one night to Pete Poppy,
And the very next day ... he forgot!
Well, that’s all my news, dearest Daisy!
Any news you've got, I'd love to hear -
You can trust that I’ll tell every bud-dy
Everything that YOU tell ME, my dear!”
So, next time that you're in YOUR garden,
Tip toe, and you also might see
A Mum speaking hushed to a Daisy -
All full of news ... and gossipy!


From <https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/KtbxLthpxvvfQpCvNbXBlnRfBLRlDSkzNq>


Dru Martin's poem:

there was a time when I would just kick the dirt
and watch it fly
it was so damn dry
that it would exceed my height
and dust my face
and i loved it
now i’ve taken to throwing down some water
and seeds
and seeing
what green
i could coax from the earth
taking it for all its worth
i cant lie
the rain has helped
the hand ive been dealt
and made my job easy
and i can see quite a yield
thats coming my way
from treading the same grounds
day after day
and making sure there are no weeds
in my way
and i love it

From <https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/KtbxLthpxvvfQpCvNbXBlnRfBLRlDSkzNq>



The Next Assignment
The next assignment is to write a poem about the town your were brought up in.

The Next Meeting
Pending approval by the CEnter, the next meeting is re-scheduled to WEDNESDAY, JULY 3, 2019.

Other Jabber

No comments:

Post a Comment